Friday, August 30, 2013

Eye catchers.

Forgot to mention. I had my first glimpse of the social inequities over here. Without being too specific, there were two people I observed making a transaction. The first person was becoming impatient as the bank teller was counting cash and bundling it into stacks wrapped in elastics. He left with a paper bag filled with money. The next person in line literally had three bills counted. That's it!  For me, that was the moment where I first discovered the difference between the very rich and the very poor. It is hard for us to see the workers out in the heat labouring as we sit in our comfortable air conditioned vehicle. It is unbearable to be in the heat for more than 15 minutes and they work outside all day. You don't really realize how lucky you are until you see the way that other people exist. 

I am also having a hard time adjusting to the fact that nothing is recycled. Everything goes in the trash and gets carted off to the desert. I was also wondering where the tap water came from since there is none. They desalinate the Gulf water. This process is very expensive and wreaks havoc on the aquatic ecosystem. Since money is not an object, it exists. My eyes and ears are wide open and will continue to be. 

1 comment:

  1. Totally cool you guys!! Keep the posts a comin'... I'm reading them!!

    ReplyDelete