Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Ripe!

So we came home from work yesterday and the entire house smelled like poo.  Not kidding.  The smell went from top to bottom.  Linds began to freak out and I went into investigation mode.  The sewage system here is a series of open underground troughs that use gravity as a means to an end.  Sometimes, under the right conditions, there is a blockage.  You can figure out why based on what one might put down the toilet.  So, there are two steel covers in our courtyard.  I began to explore.  With a white towel around my face, I cracked the first one open and saw what can only be described as a big pile of...  Wonderful.  Luckily for me, I have a neighbour who is well versed in this type of situation.  A Canadian who has called the Middle-East his home for over a decade now.  I got the hose, put it on max Mid-East pressure and began to spray.  I could have attached pictures, but I figured that the story is graphic enough.  You get the point.  After some disgusting grunt work, I freed to pipes of their oppressive contents and let them flow freely once again.  Ed, the septic hero of Umm Salal Mohamed!

Lessons learned:

1 - There is great value in a modern sewage system, and
2 - I am glad that stayed in school, and
3 - White towels don't mask the smell.

No comments:

Post a Comment