Friday, May 2, 2014

Italy Blog Post 6

Well, this is it.  Our last stop - Venice.  We took the high speed train in a first class coach.  I was thinking at one point that we are so lucky.  On our way to Venice not only to see the city, but to possibly meet my family on the Piva side.

On the night before leaving Florence, I made a phone call using the numbers that my Mom, Aunt Cathy and Uncle Syl were able to find.  The lady who answered the phone did not speak english, had no idea who I was and why I was calling her.  I understood that she was making me wait, but for what.  Turns out, someone spoke English and was able to translate for me and make sense of it all.  Thank you Dorina.

We arrived in Venice and found our hotel.  We grabbed some groceries, dropped our stuff off and made our way by train northwest to Castel Franco, a small city 45 minutes outside of Venice.  We made arrangements to be picked up here by Massimo and Dorina.

They took us to the home of my Nona and Nono, now the residence of Mirco and Maria.  The original building where my Nona was born and raised has been modified over the years, but it is still there.

We gathered around the kitchen table, put together a family tree and had a great time.

We went outside for a walk and I realized where I was...standing right between my Nona and and Nono's house...the origins of the Piva family in Canada.  It was a pretty special moment.

I went across the street with Massimo and paid a visit to the home of my Nono, a house with a bar.  The bar has been in operation for a long time.  I met the Mother of two older children (now adults) who have the last name Piva.  Too funny!  We looked at each other and realized that we all have the same blue eyes.

Later that evening we had a big oven fired pizza dinner at Massimo and Dorina's house.  The kitchen table was filled with family and visitors that came throughout the evening.

It was such a special day, one that we will remember for a very long time to come.  It is amazing to me  how easy the day went.  Everyone was so warm and welcoming.  Ais and Nate had a fantastic time exploring the farm and spending time with Massimo and Dorina's children.  The short time that we all shared together was very special and it is something that I haven't stopped thinking about since coming back to Qatar.

Hopefully, one day, we can do it again.


Mirco seeing a picture of himself.


Dorina, Angelo, Mirco and I talking about our family origins.


Ais and Nate doing what they do best.


Massimo and Nate having a chat.


Mirco and Maria's beautiful porch.



Nona's old place.




Mirco and Angelo.  Angelo and my Grandpa Gino look very 
similar and the funny thing is, they have the same personality!



In the veal cattle barn.






The Piva family in my Nono's old place where he was born and raised.


Nono's old house.


Google maps if you want to take a satellite view.


Nona's old place.  What a day!


Massimo's pizza oven...a work of art.



The family tree that we put together.


My Nono's brother's old bar and now the 
home of his son.  Yet another Piva.

How it all started.

My Nona.

From left to right, Uncle Paul, Aunt Cathy, my Dad Mike, Uncle Dennis and 
Uncle Dave, the kids of Gino Piva, the son of my Nono and Nona.


My Grandma Margaret and Grandpa Gino.




Back in the day, Nona, my Dad, me and Nono.










No comments:

Post a Comment