Saturday, June 21, 2014

Last night.

My final weekend in Qatar.  I had a few things left on my bucket list and thanks to a good friend of mine, I was able to accomplish them and then some.






1 - An old abandoned compound






Exploring...you never know what you are going to find.  We went to an old compound that appears to have been abandoned in the early 90s.  The cool thing is that it looks as if everyone just left.  So in a couple of places there were still posters on the wall, VHS tapes scattered about and kitchens that had been raided.  There was an old British themed pub that looked like a good place to hang out.  I even found an old photo album.it with me of course.


2 - Antique Shop


With a pretty mean sweat on, we walked to a nearby antique shop.  What an amazing place!  We ended up walking around for an hour or so and then spent a great deal of time looking at binders of old currency.  Like, really obscure stuff.  I ended up buying a bunch of currency from the mid-east and so Yugoslavian money, which of course no longer exists.


3 - Workers complex


On our way to the Souq, we walked through the workers complexes.  It is a cultural thing, but they stare right through you.  I looked into a number of the places and it is dire.  Dirty, dark, smelly.  What a terrible sight, but something that I needed to see before I left.  My next blogs will help you understand the situation here as Qatar uses the migrant workers to get ready for the 2022 World Cup.


4 - Yemeni Restaurant


Coming out of the workers complex and right into the Souq.  A tourist destination right on the doorstep of poverty and filth.  We had dinner at a fantastic Yemeni restaurant.  We sat on the floor and ate with our hands.  Two chicken and rice dishes, soup and very fresh bread.  Total bill, 50 Riyals, about $14 CDN.


It think that about does it for my "adventures" in Qatar.  But who knows, maybe something will happen this week.


I can count the number of days till departure on one hand...almost.  It's time to go home.  YES!







No comments:

Post a Comment