Friday, February 14, 2014

National Sports Day


The logo contains six colors which are maroon (the color of Qatar’s flag), light red (energy, happiness and sun rise), green (life, nature and growth), black (energy and power), yellow (creativity) and Blue (Peace and Confidence). 

This is the official web site:  http://www.sportday.qa

The holiday is a way of combating rising rates of obesity and diabetes here in the Middle East.  I believe that it is also to showcase the "sporting" life of the country in advance of the 2022 World Cup and the Olympic Bid that the country is making.

Apparently, the traffic was so bad, several members of our staff tried to attend the events but were stuck in traffic at three different locations.  They ended up driving for three hours and heading home.

We just stayed in the compound.  Linds worked out and I cleaned up the gm that no one in our compound takes care of or cleans up.  I cleaned up the weights, dusted and mopped the floors.  Someone has got to do the dirty work!

The highlight of my day was my trip to the gas station.  I saw an East Indian driver hand his phone over to an employee at Burger King.  He barely spoke any English.  Since I am nosey and and need to know, I asked him what he was doing.  He was picking up BK combos for his Qatari employee who stayed home on National Sports Day to order take out!!!  No wonder there is a problem here, no one does anything for themselves, not even get off the couch and out of the house to order fast food.

The future is looking...

No comments:

Post a Comment