Friday, February 21, 2014

Where Does Qatar's Garbage Go!

Since August when I realized that there is a limited to non-existent recycling program in Qatar, I have been searching for answers, but to no avail.  I finally read about a website produced by students at Northwestern University - Qatar (qatarvironment.org).  They did some investigating of their own and made some significant and disturbing discoveries.  I have attached the article entitled, "Digging Deeper: The Impact of Qatar's Landfills".

For example, there is a tire pile consisting of 11 million tires from 10 kg to 800 kg.  If the pile was to ever catch on fire, it would burn for several years out of control.  Qatar's water table is very close to the surface and it is a small peninsula so you can imagine the catastrophic consequences.  Also, the landfills accept all waste including biomedical waste...yep, that includes human remains.

The whole thing prompted me to create a display outside my room.  The reason being, not one of my students from grade 9 to 12 knew anything about where their garage went.  Shocking and alarming.

The whole situation makes me think about our future.  If kids are disconnected from the realities of our impact on the planet, how much time do we have left?








No comments:

Post a Comment